If you’re looking for ecclesiastical adventure, I highly recommend a trip to the DomQuartier – the cathedral-museum complex. Your ticket will give you entry to the Cathedral Museum, the Museum of St. Peter’s Abbey, the State Rooms of the Residenz, the Cabinet of Curiosities, and much more.
On your walk, you’ll run into:
- Elaborate monstrances encrusted with diamonds, rubies, and emeralds
- Host irons decorated with elaborate patterns for the wafer used in Mass
- A close-up view of the massive cathedral organ – 4,121 pipes and 58 stops
- Dutch masterpieces by Cuyp, De Velde and De Heem
- Celestial globes and cut-rock crystal
Plus innumerable state rooms shimmering in gold and white. Keep an eye out for the clock made of French silk and lit by a candle.