The history of Graz’s famous university begins with the Jesuits and their efforts to beat back Protestantism. It was a gradual takeover. First, under the protective eye of their Catholic patron, Archduke Charles II of Inner Austria, the Jesuits established a theological and philosophical school. Then, in 1578, they created
These cryptic vowels began popping up on Austrian public buildings during the reign of Frederick III (1440-1493). Frederick never explained why he chose this monogram, which has led to conspiracy theories worthy of Dan Brown. Scholars have suggested: Austria est imperio optime unita (“Austria is the empire best united”). Austria
Graz’s cathedral stands on the shadow of a 12th century Romanesque church dedicated to St. Ägydius (St. Giles). 300 years later, in 1438, the long-lived Frederick III decided to use the site for his parish church. Frederick’s castle – the Burg – and his mysterious imprimatur are right across the street.