Experience + Imagination = Results.
Based in Massachusetts, I am a freelance copywriter for all manner of projects – short or long, web or print. Whatever your challenge, I will go the extra mile to help you achieve your marketing goals.
Freelance Copywriting Credentials
Looking for credentials? Check out my:
Freelance Copywriting Experience
The past few years have involved a combination of education and commercial work.
In 2016, I worked with a designer to edit a brochure on private sports club. During 2014-2015, I partnered with Tomlinson LLC and other ad agencies on websites, and I worked with Rising Media on event-related press releases and emails. Commercial projects included B2C websites on custom closets, custom furniture & upholstery, and web hosting & design.
My education work with Degree Prospects has been equally rigorous:
- In Winter & Spring 2018, I worked on guides to achieving online degrees in specific subjects (e.g. psychology) for a College Affordability website. In addition, I wrote profiles of top online bachelor’s degrees & top online certificates in cyber security, as well as a rundown of top cyber forensics schools.
- In Winter & Spring 2017, I created guides to data science programs in almost all 50 states. Each profile explored what was happening in the state’s tech economy and highlighted research work at universities, scholarships, conferences, meetups, and job opportunities. In Summer & Fall 2017, I profiled the top 20 schools and the best online master’s programs in cyber security. I also created a guide to college cyber safety.
- In Fall 2016, I worked on state guides to online colleges & degree for a College Affordability website. Each webpage included info on how to find online degrees, important info about scholarships & grants for online students, profiles of affordable & reputable schools, and warnings about online schools with quality issues.
- In Spring 2016, I completed 20 state profiles of the college landscape for a College Affordability website. Each profile include sources of state funding (e.g. state scholarships & grants), advice & resources for low-income students (e.g. campus food banks), and links to non-profit college preparation groups.
- In 2015, I wrote a new website on the Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. I also completed 2 Guides to Paying for University (College and Graduate School), a 10,000+ word Student Action Guide on sustainability (with expert interviews), a website on cyber security education, and a comprehensive STEM Guide for Kids.
- In Winter 2014, I added to the 2013 website on data science, with blog posts, specialty sections, and five 2,000 word articles on how big data is affecting various industries (e.g. energy sector). In Winter 2016, I provided advice and profiles of data science bootcamps. In Summer 2016, I worked on ranking & detailing the best campus & online programs in business analytics.
In March of 2013, I began writing emails and landing pages for a company specializing in lead management and demand generation.
During January-February, I completed fifty-two 400-word state profiles covering the marketing industry for a lead generation company, including profiles on D.C. and Puerto Rico. In April, I drafted two overview articles on online marketing & accounting programs.
In October, I dusted off a 30,000 word website on data science.
Other projects included SEO recommendations for a North Shore law firm and a Newburyport life coach, a B2B brochure for a health food company, and PR work for eartheaded.com.
Audio Tour Writing
During Spring-Summer 2012, I tackled short writing projects, including an article about Pinot Noir winemaking in New Zealand, samples for an audio tour company, and a Salem history audio script.
I also completed name branding for an Artificial Intelligence start-up and editorial work for eartheaded.com.
Throughout this time I provided Rising Media with press releases on online marketing & analytics conferences and I tackled a series of articles on the topic of higher education & criminal justice for a lead generation company.
Catalog Copy Editing
In April of 2011, I began working on contract projects with George P. Johnson, a global event management agency. Their key focus is engagement – finding ways to inspire action and loyalty among event attendees. I provided SEO copywriting and website strategy, emails, and case studies.
In the latter part of 2011 and in January 2012, I worked as a contract copywriter with PetEdge, a wholesale pet supply company in Beverly, MA. Work include extensive copy editing, as well as product copy, advertising copy, and PR initiatives.
Social Media Campaigns
Internet Marketing Strategy
In 2010, I spent eight months writing for McDougall Interactive, an award-winning internet marketing firm offering search engine optimization (SEO), content development, PPC, analytics, link building, and social media.
Work included SEO copywriting and editing for eCommerce sites, banks, law firms, golf resorts, restaurants, B2B manufacturers, and colleges. I was also involved in a number of social media campaigns and collaborations on online marketing strategies.
Catalog Copy & Headlines
During these years, I worked closely with Catalog Design Studios, writing catalog copy and headlines for wildlife control suppliers, food companies, and New England craftspeople.
In partnership with Stackpole & Partners, I tackled web and print projects, including white papers, ads, websites and print collateral for non-profits, automotive leasing companies, banks, and law firms.
Trade Show Displays
I experienced hands-on training in every stage of the marketing process as a marketing coordinator with WIDE World at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Work included:
- Writing the monthly newsletter, marketing collateral and articles for educational publications
- Helping draft email and print campaigns and tracking their effectiveness
- Collaborating with other departments on the new website and trade show display
In my previous work as a regular book reviewer for the California Literary Review, I also wrote essays and conducted interviews.
PhD and MPhil in Anglo-Saxon Literature, University of Cambridge
BA (Honors) in English Literature, University of Otago
I hold a PhD in Anglo-Saxon Literature from the University of Cambridge, England. My thesis was on the “Heroic Tradition in the Old English Riddles,” a compilation of evocative and bawdy poems written in the language of Beowulf. Find them translated into modern English at the Kalamazoo Riddle Group.